Skip to main content

Copenhagen| Travelling Fit




The summer holidays, a time to relax, get a tan, maybe go on a trip somewhere. Rest is just as important as exercise, if not more important, I would never force myself to train if I was feeling exhausted. I have to admit, it is very tempting to just lie by the pool all day every day on holiday but there are lots of ways to keep your body happy and moving while still having a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.
In April this year, my pal Ant and I went to Copenhagen, Denmark, for a long weekend. What you sometimes don’t realise is that when you are exploring a new place you tend to walk very far indeed. On one day, my phone recorded that we walked 15 miles. Exploring is very active stuff. One great way to get the most out of a place is to take part in a ‘free’ walking tour. These tours operate by the guides being tipped what you felt the tour was worth at the end of it, because of this, they really go all out to make your tour as interesting and exciting as possible. Most European cities have this style of walking tour.

We wanted to go and visit the Little Mermaid statue whilst in Copenhagen but it was a little way out from the centre so we decided to run there. When I told my family and friends that we had been on a run the reaction was generally of horror and dismay… “but you’re on holiday why would you go for a run?!” Well spare me the judgement would you please. We didn’t go on a “run” per say, how do you even define a run?

We donned our running trainers and headed out towards the Little Mermaid. En route we saw lots of cafes and restaurants, some of which we stopped to read the menu. We saw people, dogs (it automatically slows me down if I see a cute dog), beautiful flowers, buildings – your mind picks out the most interesting things when you’re going past at a pace. I stopped SO many times to take pictures, read information signs and decide which way to go next. Apparently, your memories of surroundings  whilst running are your most vivid memories because of the increased oxygen flow to your brain (this is according to my Dad). We were a little bit short for time but if we had more time we would definitely have bought an ice cream and sat on the rocks by the Little Mermaid. There is no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy your surroundings whilst running along. There are no rules which say you must not stop, you must run a set distance, you can’t walk and talk about something you’ve just seen. Running should be fun and I find it such a fun way to explore a new place.

Em x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Active Em on tour : Bangkok

Hi! So here am I, writing this blog post on my tablet in Ho Chi Minh City airport, waiting to board a flight to Da Nang. It seems like I will be writing the blog posts about countries a little while after I have left them. Mostly because I don’t know what I really think of a place until I’ve left it and most of the time I’m too busy trying to get my head around where I am to be able to write about it! We arrived in Bangkok on 10th October, after making our way down to Heathrow, onto the 12 hour flight, after figuring out the airport link train and to our hostel via a dodgy, definitely overpriced taxi. My initial thoughts on Bangkok; humid, chaotic, colourful and smelly. We stayed in the old quater of the city, which is the most popular location for budget hotels and hostels. We were too exhausted to be interesting on our first night in the city but we did make it out for some Thai street food. We found that in every case in Thailand, the cheaper the food, the more tasty it was. On our ...

Active Em on tour: Koh Lanta, Thailand

Time of year visited: Mid October Favourite place visited: Klong Khong Beach Favourite food: Vegetarian Med Brunch at Kunda Restaurant Favourite activity: Snorkelling (apart from when I thought I might die) Most random thing that happened: The host at our hostel rubbing talcum powder on our hands to make us better at pool (whilst he was wearing a towel) There’s a strong chance that you might get this blog post quite soon after the Krabi post because this weekend we are at the Kuala Lumpur Major Dota 2 Competition (video game). Ant has dragged me a long and as much as I try and watch the games I just can’t get into it so I’ll just sit here and write while he watches magical heroes fight... So! We travelled to the Thai island of Koh Lanta by mini bus from Ao Nang. Our hotel offered better prices than the numerous tourist offices in the town. It took about three hours and was a really easy way to get there. We stayed at a hostel/ guesthouse type place called ‘Peace Lanta M...

Leeds Sports Awards 2018

With Leeds Rhinos ladies Charlotte Booth and Lois Forsell Hannah Cockcroft MBE Sam Smith Izzy Palmer  The Leeds Girls Can Ambassadors were very lucky and grateful to be invited to the Leeds Sports Awards 2018. It was a rare occasion in more than one way, we swapped our trainers for heels, the only problem was that we hardly recognised each other in all our finery away from a muddy park or sweaty spin studio. Held at the First Direct Arena, this was a highly prestigious event, just to give you a sense of the scale of the awards, it was sponsored by Leeds Bid, Banana Kick, The University of Leeds, ImageCo, Blacks Solicitors, First Direct Bank, Leeds Bradford Airport, Sport Leeds, Yorkshire Sport Foundation, Resource, SWPix, Leeds Sports Federation, Leeds City Council and the Yorkshire Evening Post. Quite a mouthful. It was a wonderful evening celebrating the achievements of all sorts of people involved in sports in Leeds, with young, senior and special contributions awards, it was a...